Tax Identification Number

Exporter’s Registration

Temporary Exports

Export Permit

Prohibited Goods

Export Valuation



Registration and Trading License

A person wishing to export goods from Eswatini must register a company and acquire the appropriate trading license from the Ministry of Commerce Industry and Trade, in accordance with the License order of 1975. Micro and small businesses, such as handicrafts, a hawkers’ permit is required. For more information on how to register a business and acquire the relevant trading license lick here.



In order for an Exporter, as a company or an individual (sole trader), to be able to export, they have to register with the Eswatini Revenue Authority (SRA) for a Tax Identification Number (TIN). The registration form is available on SRA’s website and after completion, it can be submitted by email at or by walk-in into the SRA’s offices in Mbabane, Ezulwini, Matsapha, and Siteki. for a copy of the TIN registration form click here.


Exporter Registration

Exporters who wish to export goods under Preferential Trade Agreements should register with the Customs Department of the SRA. This also applies to Exporters that intend to export to Europe under the Registered Exporter System (REX). The registration process involves verifications to determine whether the production process of the goods qualify for origin status. Origin status is granted through a Certificate of Origin which the Exporter presents to the importing country for preferential treatment. Exporters exporting under non-preferential market access need not to register as an exporter and acquire a Certificate of Origin.


Temporary Exports

An Exporter may temporarily export goods that will be returned to Eswatini. These exports may be for purposes such as: for further processing, repair or returning in an unaltered state (e.g. exhibition) (For exports sent for repairs, on return duty is payable based on the cost of repairs). Note that specific procedures do apply.


Export Permit

For goods whose trade in which is controlled, the exporter needs to acquire an export permit from the agency responsible for the exportation of those goods. In the case of animals and animal products, as well as plant and plant products, the Exporter must acquire the necessary sanitary and phytosanitary permit from the appropriate government agency. For instance, if the Exporter wishes to vegetables they must acquire an export permit from the National Agriculture Marketing Board (NAMBoard) and a phytosanitary certificate from the Department of Agriculture Research and Specialist Services (DARSS) at the Malkerns Research Station.

Below are some of the key products that are controlled and require an export permit:


In preparation of the export as per the requirements;

The Exporter must:

  • fumigate the goods at an authorized fumigation agency, such as The Specialist.
  • take the proof of fumigation (in the form of a receipt) to the Department of Agricultural Research and Specialists Services (DARSS) to apply for a phytosanitary certificate and pay E10.00.
  • register the handicraft with Ministry of Natural Resources-Forestry/Plant Protection and acquire the required export permit,
  • export by making a declaration to the SRA.

Wood and Wood Products

In preparation of the export of food and wood products an exporter has to meet the following requirements and procedure:

  • apply for a wood and wood plant export permit from the Forestry Department at the Ministry of Tourism and Environmental Affairs, as well as at the DARSS (NPPOSZ) in Malkerns, attaching a plant import permit and other relevant documents from the importing country’s NPPO.
  • apply for a phytosanitary certificate from DARSS, and Officials from DARSS (NPPOSZ) have to inspect the consignment to ensure conditions set out by the importing country’s NPPO are satisfactorily met.
  • Pay a fee of E10.00 has to be paid at DARSS.
  • if phytosanitary conditions are satisfactorily complied with NPPO SZ (DARSS) it will issue out a phytosanitary certificate per consignment, which is valid for single use.
  • the Exporter can ship the consignment wood and wood products accompanied by the plant import permit from the importing country and the phytosanitary certificate from Eswatini (NPPOSZ).

Precious Metals and Stones including Coal

An Exporter intending of precious metals and stones including coal has to meeting the following procedure and process in order to export the following;

  • apply for a Mineral Export Permit in writing from the Ministry of Natural Energy and Resources’ Mining Department;
  • provide a minerals dealers’ license and pay E500.00;
  • Once the payment has been made the Exporter then receives an export permit and can duly export the precious stones.
  • NOTE-for precious stone and metals the export permit is valid for one consignment.

Waste Disposal including toxic materials and chemicals

Exporters of waste disposal including toxic materials and chemicals have to meet a number of requirements and follow certain procedures before they can export the waste. This s despite the fact that they will be exporting waste. Exporters of waste have to meet the follow the following procedure and meet the stated requirements:

  • apply for a toxic waste disposal export license by filling in the necessary at the Eswatini Environmental Authority, in accordance with the Basel Convention on Waste;
  • submit the filled application form alongside the proof of payment for the application form, Tax Clearance from SRA and the business documents which include a Trading License;
  • pay E530.00 for the waste disposal license;
  • acquire approval from the importing country and submit it to Eswatini Environmental Authority; and
  • Once the application has been approved, the exporter can then export, and each license is granted for one consignment.


Customs Declaration

Goods that are exported from Eswatini have to be declared to Customs. Customs declarations are made through ASYCUDA World, and exporters are expected to fill in the SAD 500 Form, and attach supporting documents including-

  • Supplier’s Commercial Invoice
  • Carrier’s Cargo Manifest
  • Certificate of Origin (depending on the export destination)
  • Airway Bill (AWB) or Road/Rail Consignment Note (RCN)
  • Export Permits (where applicable)
  • Packing List, etc


Prohibited Goods

Prohibited goods cannot be produced or distributed in Eswatini; as such they cannot be exported out of the country. Among prohibited goods are narcotics, psychotropic substances, hazardous chemical substances, and counterfeit goods, amongst others.


Export Valuation

The value for Exports is on FOB basis not on CIF. This is the value of production costs, packaging costs and transport costs upto the means of transport.


Go to Top 


Member Area

Search this Site
Useful Sites

Upcoming Events